Friday, February 8
Almost the end of my week-long experiment with slow cooker meals. It works, I think, front loading my day with meals ready for when we walk in from work, school ,college, volunteering, shopping, driving. This last dish was a chicken casserole with sausage (as that is what was left over in the fridge) and a selection of vegetables and some tinned tomatoes. Tasty and with enough sauce leftover to make a nourishing "soup" for both adults to eat at some point during tomorrow, all happy.
6 chicken thighs (boned or boney, whatever you have)
Spicy sausage (gluten-free)
Red pepper, chopped
Chicken stock (2 cups)
1 x tin of tomatoes
Sea salt and cracked fresh black pepper
2 tbspn coconut oil
1. Fry the chicken in the coconut oil to brown the skin
2. Place in a slow cooker with all the other ingredients
3. Cook for about 6 - 8 hours
4. Take a cup of the broth out with some of the veggies and puree.
5. Add some ground arrowroot if desired to thicken the consistency
6. Return to slow cooker
7. Serve with steamed spring greens and a knob of fresh butter