Chicken Pot Pie - words that have been known to reduce my husband to tears (!) We share below the best pot pie recipe we know. We can't confirm that cavemen used to eat this dish what we can say is we are sure they would've if they could! Still it is currently -5 outside and there's a blizzard coming in. Light the storm lamps and batten down the hatches and eat well. This is as close to paleo pie as we can offer it being a bit of an oxymoron and all. Serve with some fantastic leafy greens with butter and enjoy.
For the filling
- 2-3 cups of shredded chicken (get a ready cooked one fr the store - no such thing as leftovers with the Olivers)!)
- 2 cups of chicken stock (or water)
- 1/2 cup of coconut milk (or other milk, or yogurt works too!)
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced into rounds
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon of thyme, dried
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (or to taste)
- add mushrooms, onions or whatever is to hand
- dash of black pepper
For the crust top
- 3 cups of ground almonds
- 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
- 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter, cold and cut into small pieces
- 2 eggs
- Boil all the filling ingredients except for the coconut milk, in a saucepan or frying pan for about 10 minutes, or until the celery and carrots begin to soften.
- Remove 1 cup of chicken stock (the liquid in the mixture) and add the coconut milk and simmer for another 5 minutes or so
- Make the crust by combining all the ingredients in a food processor, or combine by hand.
- Add the filling to a pie tin
- Take most of the pie topping and roll out between two sheets of baking paper, carefully lift and cover the pie filling
- Bake at 180C until the crust is browned (10 to 15 mins).
- Cool and enjoy.
PS What to do with the left over pie crust - those ingenius brains at the younger end of the family debated hotly for several minutes before coming up with the best solution possible for this paleo family...paleo JTs...recipe to follow